Monday, November 15, 2010

Makeover Monday:: Beauty and the Beast

Hello, friends! We find ourselves enjoying/enduring another Monday. I've got a doozie for you today.

Before.

I bought this beastly chair at a garage sale (back in April) for $2. It's not much to look at, but it is sturdy, it's made of real wood, it is surprisingly comfortable, and the upholstery is easily covered. And, the seat lifts on a hinge to provide storage underneath. Pretty nifty.

Much to my husband's chagrin, I brought it home and placed it in the office/sewing room...where it has remained, hidden from view, for months. (To be fair, I've adopted many ugly chairs over the years with lofty aspirations of reupholstering/painting/slip-covering and very few have been beautified. I usually end up re-selling them at a garage sale or donating them to a thrift store. Matt's reservations were warranted.) Until now...


After!
I've charmed the beast with some fabulous upholstery-weight Joel Dewberry fabric. Armed with a staple gun, (Addie's staple gun...thanks, sister. I'll return it to you someday. :) I pulled, stretched, folded and stapled the new fabric right over the old fabric.

Another angle for your viewing pleasure. I used paste wax to spiff up the wood work, which worked quite nicely. I am so pleased with this beautiful chair. I'm not sure I can keep it hidden in the office anymore!

Happy Monday to you!

4 comments:

Laurie said...

Nice chair. Love the picture of those enthusiatic kids of yours.

Addie said...

Very lovely! Agree with Laurie about the kid pic. I love it!

Dave said...

People should have to stumble over that chair when they enter your home! Good job, make-over Mondays is very en-light-ening

Grammie Perrine said...

hgtv has nothing on you!